In 1900, one year before the original Homestead Resort burned down, a small Victorian house was built on State Hwy 800 (now known as Hwy 220) by the Southern Improvement Company. It was initially offered as a leased property, and the 1st tenant was J. T. McAllister who was a local attorney, historian and author. The house was named Vine Cottage and the entire front porch was covered by ivy vines which provided privacy and shade. In 1905, the Inn became a boarding house and started to rent out rooms to travelers who were looking to “take the waters” of the hot and warm mineral springs in the area.
In 1928, the house underwent a major expansion that doubled the size of the inn and added 6 additional rooms at the back of the property and allowed for a much larger kitchen so they could serve 3 meals a day to their guests. In 1930, Thomas Sterrett Jr. and his wife Margaret (Daisy) Pole purchased the Vine Cottage and turned it into the inn as it is known today. The Sterrett’s operated the Inn until the mid 1940’s. Their daughter, Helen Sterrett and her husband Reginald Muzzy continued to operate the inn with their two children after the death of Helen’s parents. Helen Muzzy sold the Vine Cottage Inn in 1955. Helen’s daughter, Elizabeth (Beth) lived in the Inn for 9 years before it was sold in 1955. As of 2022, Beth still comes to visit her childhood home at least once per year! We love to hear her stories of growing up in Vine Cottage and Bath County. Historical pictures are courtesy of the Bath County Historical Society.
From 1955 – 2018, nine different owners have operated the Vine Cottage Inn as a welcome retreat for those travelers looking to enjoy Bath County. In 2018, the Vine was purchased by Dave and Tammy Hahn.
Meet the Innkeepers:
Tammy and Dave are resident Innkeepers at Vine Cottage Inn and are thrilled to have the opportunity to continue the long history of exceptional hospitality for which the Vine is known.